Friday, September 4, 2009

What a trip (part 2)!



So...... after 10 days in Stockholm, I then flew over to Amsterdam. Originally, I was going to go and stay in a hotel and be by myself. But, after my brother John's girlfriend, Jeannette, found out I was coming to Amsterdam, which is close to where she lives..... she invited me to stay with her. I could not have been more blessed!!! She has a beautiful home with room for a guest. I could not have asked for a better situation. She met me at the airport-- which is also connected to the train station. We got on the train and went to her town, Lelystad. I had never met her face to face before! After 10 minutes of being with her I knew we would get along really well. Not only that -- I had a blast! The next morning we got up and got back on the train to go into Amsterdam. She was an excellent tour guide. We walked for miles and miles!! What a city it is.... all the buildings are out of the 1500's and 1600's. AMAZING. Canals and bridges everywhere. People everywhere. Bicycles EVERYWHERE!!!!!! We shopped and ate and shopped and ate! That night we went to her daughter's house warming gathering. I met Ilse, her boyfriend, Daniel, Jeannette's parents, Peter (Pete) and Matilda (Til), and Daniel's family. It was a fun night- listening to everyone speaking Dutch most of the time.


Jeannette



One of many beautiful old churches in Amsterdam


Beautiful flowers were all over the place!


Apple Pie and Coca Cola Light for a snack.(In Europe they don't sell Diet Coke- they have Coca Cola Light, and it tastes different)


Christiann (sister-in-law), Til, the other grandmother, Jeannette, Ilse, Daniel and Pete.

My 2nd full day in The Netherlands, I went into Amsterdam by myself. Because Jeannette had done such a good job showing me around the first day, I knew where to go. I took the Canal Cruise- The "Museum Hop On Hop Off". So after awhile on the boat- I got off to do the tour of the Ann Frank House. What an emotional tour that was. I heard the church bells she heard that she talks about in her book. I walked behind the bookcase the hid the stairs up to their living quarters- and walked up the stairs. I stood in each room that she shared with 7 other people. I saw the toilet that they used. And at the end of the tour of each of the small rooms, I saw the actual diary that she wrote in. It is under glass. Her handwriting is beautiful. I have known her story all of my life. But to see where they actually were hiding for 2 years....well, all I can say is WOW. After the tour of the house, I got back on the boat for awhile. I got back off to go see the Rijks Museum. I was there for 2 hours- looking at Rembrandts, Vermeers, and other beautiful paintings. After I got my cultural fill I got back on the boat and finished the canal tour. Then I shopped and got back on the train back to Lelystad. That night we ate at home and I met Nils, Jeannette's gorgeous son! ( and I forgot to get a picture of him.... darn!!!!)


This is a parking garage for bikes!


This is the Ann Frank House- the original building is covered up to protect it- but the inside is the real thing.


The entrance to the Rijks Museum. No pictures allowed inside.


I loved this beautiful house.


Another beautiful church.


On the train back to Lelystad- I saw this windmill!


My 3rd day Jeannette was off work again- so we decided to go shopping right in Lelystad. But the exciting part of the day was that we went shopping- not by car but by bicycle!!! I had not ridden a bike in years!!! But what they say is true- you never forget. We had a crazy fun day shopping, eating lunch out, shopping, and then eating dinner out. In between all of these adventures over the 4 nights and 3 days I was there, I also met her sister, Petra, that lives next door. And we talked and talked and talked and talked!!!!! I even got to speak to John several times..... Jeannette is a very special person. She is a good listener, has such a great sense of humor, and I must say... good taste in men! She loves my brother doesn't she?!! I have a new wonderful friend, and can't wait to see her again. So Jeannette, thank you for making my trip to The Netherlands so memorable. Please come see me in California so that I can reciprocate!!!!


Jeannette's home.


Ready to ride my bike to go shopping!


A Dutch ship from the 1600's.


Jeannette with her sister, Petra.

1 comment:

NCBuys said...

Your whole trip sounds amazing! What a wonderful experience. Cami's wedding looked absolutely beautiful. Congratulations to you all.