Sunday, September 13, 2009

Staying Connected

I had such a fun weekend with McKenzie and Brynn- and oh yea- Brooke and Evan! It's true what they say- when your kids have kids the whole game changes. I go to see the grandkids and if I see Brooke and Evan then that's great too! =) Sorry Brooke- but I think you already knew this! I can't wait until Christmas when I finally get to go see Reagan and Jenna again.

When I went through my cancer 13 years ago I just prayed to live long enough to see my kids graduate from high school. Now I am greedy and want to live long enough for my grandkids to remember me!!! And since I have more grandkids to come I plan on being around for a long time. My grandchildren inspire me all the time-- to do better. They are my do-overs....... what I failed at as a parent I get another chance to do it better this time. Even though I am not the parent I can still look at this opportunity as a grandmother to be a better example, to be more patient, to have more fun. You get the point. I love my girls!!!!!!


Reagan is 7 and in 2nd grade!


Jenna will be 4 in October


McKenzie turned 4 in August


Brynn is 15 months

To expand further - Staying connected to family is so important..... Today was a great day for that. I talked with my brother, John. He recently relocated back to the U.S. after living in Costa Rica for 2 years. I am happy we will be able to talk more now that he is more easily available.

John surfing in Costa Rica

Then I talked to my Aunt Rosemary--- yesterday was her 89th birthday. Two years ago she was the subject of my very first blog. I love her so much - she has been my surrogate mom for over 30 years.

My visit to see Rosemary last March in Oklahoma.

After talking to Rosemary for an hour I talked to my sister, Leigh. She is in Houston and I will be seeing her at Christmas time too. Then I called my other sister, Patti, but she didn't answer.

My sisters, Leigh and Patti

Next I was able to talk to my sister, Susie. She is in Seattle. Thank goodness her husband's family is in the Bay Area- so I am able to see them a couple of times a year usually.

My sister, Susie, and her family.

In between all of my other family calls I also manage to stay in touch with my kids. Those are the calls that get me through my routine days. That is what really matters to me--- staying connected.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a nice post! I can tell that you are a wonderful Grandma to all of those kids. I love your family & I think you must have done a fabulous job as a mom, too, because your children all turned out so great.
Staying connected is so important. It's definitely made easier through the internet!

brooke said...

Mom, you do better than ANYONE I know at staying connected to those you love. Thank you for that example and thank you for all your time spent loving me and my children.