Sunday, June 1, 2008

Camp Nauvoo

This past Friday and Saturday was our ward camp out. Most of you that know me know I am NOT a camper!!! But as Activities Chair Person I was in charge of the camp out..... Needless to say I was dreading the weekend. Well, to my surprise I actually had a great time! But there is a caveat to the whole deal. I didn't actually CAMP. Later at night when things were winding down, a friend and I went back into town and stayed at a little dive motel!!! It was very quaint and clean though. As a result I was being called Princess by many. I didn't care though. I don't sleep on the ground, or even on air mattresses in a tent. But we had fun. The Church owns a great campground called Camp Nauvoo outside of Placerville, with pine trees, a creek, a lodge, and a beautiful meadow.

Friday night started with a campfire. We had a hilarious family talent show. Singing, stories, jokes, even baby tricks! After the entertainment we made smores. As everyone settled down, Erline and I headed into Placerville to sleep in comfy and warm beds! After taking nice comfortable showers in the morning we drove back to camp!!! The men made a great breakfast of pancakes, sausage and fruit. Then we had a great water balloon fiasco. The Bishop got drenched by the teenage guys! There were games of horseshoes, frisbee, a hike for the primary kids, water fun on the creek. Then lunch. After lunch we cleaned up and then just sat around and talked for quite awhile. It was a great opportunity to get to know the families in my ward better. The setting was gorgeous and the weather was wonderful. I have to admit I am relieved that the weekend is over!!! There were stressful moments with people that were delegated to take care of certain things not showing up. But others pitched in and I didn't have to do it alone.

When I got back Saturday late afternoon I went to the movies to see Chronicles of Narnia. It was good. I love C.S. Lewis. I even downloaded the soundtrack from Itunes! I really only wanted 2 songs- the songs by Regina Spektor and the other one by Switchfoot. But you had to buy the whole album so I did. Today was church - then I worked on my patio garden. I love the mild weather we are having. I know the scorching heat is around the corner so I am enjoying this while I can! All in all a great weekend...

1 comment:

brooke said...

Mom!! I am so glad you had a fun time and that it turned out to be a worth while night. See your calling is fun :)