Sunday, December 7, 2008

I'm Still Employed!

This past week has been a roller coaster week for me. I knew at the beginning of the week that there were announcements coming at work by the end of the week that would affect me. The big media announcement came on Thursday that AT&T would be laying off 12,000 people. I have mixed emotions since I want to retire soon and there would be additional money if they were to lay me off, but I want it to be my idea not the company's. I need to still work for financial reasons so if I were to retire from AT&T I would still be needing work of some kind. So I found out Friday that I am safe------FOR NOW! However, 7 of my friends are not. I am so sad that they received their notice. I am fortunate to be working with government accounts. I am a Sales Support Manager- which is like a project manager. Thank goodness not many do what I do so they still need me. We all have the feeling that eventually they will move our job to the mid-west though where it is less expensive, but for now I am grateful to still have a job. It couldn't have come any closer to me then it did without it hitting me. For those that did get the letter I am sorry. I am sad. I am mad. It comes down to the dollar- and at the customer's expense too. But corporate America isn't thinking about that. They are thinking of the shareholders. I will continue to work hard (probably harder) because the company has fewer and fewer resources that I use to provision the technology for State and Local government agencies. Oh yea- last week- the Governor's office lost their voice mail for 2 days! Something that could be fixed in a couple of hours took about 2 days to get them back up and running. But that isn't anything new- just an example of the issues we deal with on a regular basis! Picture the cartoon of the guy banging his head again and again on the brick wall ---- that is how I feel! I do still like my job. Just don't love it. I need to get ready to go to church- and unfortunately, afterwards, I need to go into the office for a few hours. But I am not really complaining- I am grateful to still be employed!!

No comments: