Sunday, May 18, 2008

Cinco de Mayo birthdays~

This is a couple of weeks late. But I can't let Cinco de Mayo go by without mention. Not because it is a Mexican Holiday--- but because Cinco De Mayo is the birthday of 2 life long friends of mine. So better late than never, right??

Happy Birthday- Melinda- AKA Millie~ We go back to 6th grade! We were always in the same crowd- we were class officers together and better yet we were songleaders together as seniors! For those that don't know what songleaders are- it was chearleading only to music with pompoms. Her mom sewed our uniforms! Her parents were involved parents. Something I didn't have so I always appreciated them. Over the years we haven't talked much and don't see each other much. She lives on the east coast. But when I get to see her or hear from her the years and miles go away. She knew me before most of my other friends. She is a great person with a great sense of humor. As a teenager I was always sure she would end up as a famous movie star in Hollywood! Instead, she is an established editor for a well known political publication. She is a great mom and wife. I wish we lived closer cause if we did I know we would be better friends than we are today. But she is part of my foundation and will always have a special place in my heart. Love you Millie!


Melinda in the Bahamas!

It is also another special friend's birthday on Cinco de Mayo! Joanie and I go back to 8th grade. In high school and to this day she is one of my very best friends. I could write pages and pages and not begin to explain what her friendship has meant to me. We got in trouble together as kids, we were room-mates our freshman year in college, we were sorority sisters, we watched each other raise our families. I loved her parents like they were my own. When we were in high school, many times her mom would buy 2 of the same thing- one for Joanie and one for me. She drove a Red '67 Mustang and we spent many hours driving around Coronado in it! Now one of my favorite places to go is her house overlooking the ocean, to spend time with her and her family, her 6 cats and 1 dog! She has a heart of gold and will do anything within her power to keep her family and friends happy. She has always been a volunteer- whether it be at the hospital, a thrift shop, she even went on a mission to Africa to take medical supplies. She has health issues yet never complains. She has amazing decorating skills. But her best asset is her personality. She is genuine and sincere. She is one on a short list of friends that has always been there for me. I appreciate her friendship and pray for her to have a healthy and happy year this year. Love you Joanie!!


At dinner with Joanie last month!

1 comment:

brooke said...

Mom, this is so great! You do have great friends.