Sunday, January 27, 2008

Quiet But Productive Weekend, and Thoughts on Motherhood

I usually go to the Bay Area almost every weekend. Either to go see McKenzie or to see my friends in Pleasanton and Livermore. Every few weekends I stay home to get caught up on things-Like clean house, buy groceries (something I'm not very good at!), work in my patio, maybe go to the movies. Last weekend I was with McKenzie , the week before that I was in San Diego, and the weekend before that I was with McKenzie.  This weekend I stayed home. I wanted to go to the movies but that never happened. It's been pouring rain here forever- I am so done with winter!  I couldn't work in my patio so I ended up going into the office on Saturday for 6 hours. I am working on this huge project and needed to get it done... I took my IPOD, didn't have to answer any phones so it was actually really nice! When I got home I needed to work on the lesson I was to teach in Relief Society (as a substitute) today. Then today I went to church and taught the RS lesson. It turned out great- thanks to a lot of participation from everyone in the room. 
 I love Sundays after church when I have no meetings to go to so I can come home and do whatever....... today I read! What a treat for me.  My friend, Debbie, gave me her book to read, I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson. I bought that book for Brooke but didn't read it myself until now.  It is such a great feeling to validate that even though I haven't done huge things in my life with my career I played a more important role as a mother. I know that my kids, and others, find fault that my kids' lives have always been my highest priority- that I still don't have much of my own life separate from the lives of my children. That is something I continue to work at!  But reading this book reminds me that my heart has been in the right place.  Now I see Brooke and Anayansi working so hard at raising my grandchildren. They are the best mothers and seem to know so much more than I did at their age. I love watching all of my nieces and friends' daughters too enjoying young motherhood and raising such beautiful children. I can only remind you young mothers- it isn't meant to be easy- if it was - it wouldn't be worthwhile! So hang in there!

6 comments:

Anayansi said...

you are so right liz.

Camille said...

I am so lucky to have you as my mother! I can only hope that someday I will do half as good a job as you have done.

Unknown said...

Thanks Liz. It's nice to have that encouragement from someone who has been there. What sweet words. That sounds like a great book. I think I will check it out.

Probative said...

Three Cheers for Mom.

brooke said...

I know I made mommyhood for you a piece of cake :) HAH. Don't worry, I am already getting my payback with my strong willed child. One can only hope to be such a selfless, hard working, and loving mom. Your example lives on. I am grateful for the unconditional love that you provided and taught me.

PS_ I love that book too. Makes my days filled with elmo, stickers, spilled milk, laughter, and tears all worth while.

Liz said...

Brooke-you were worth every second of challenge that you gave me!