Sunday, October 5, 2008

In Spite of My Homemaking Skills!

Today's world is so fast paced. It easy to get overwhelmed. Between time and money there is never enough of either..... If I had enough time, my house would always be clean, I would never be tired, I would cook perfect meals, and I would remember everyone's birthday!! If I had enough money I wouldn't stress about bills, I would have nicer clothes, I would travel a lot more, and I would share it with as many as possible! But the older I get the more I realize all those things aren't really that important. The important things are not as tangible as the perfect meal or the clean house. My children were raised on the 30 minute meal plan! When they were young, cooking was not really a priority for me. I didn't have the time to be Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray. But you know what- I think my children turned out to be amazing adults. In spite of my lack of skills they turned out pretty darn well. I don't think the perfect parent is out there. I know some that come really close to that..... but I don't think perfect exists. So we all try hard and do the best we can. The important thing is that we are true to ourselves. If we are true to ourself then we set the best example a parent can set. It doesn't matter if we don't make perfect meals, it doesn't matter if the house isn't spotless, it doesn't matter if we can't sew a button. What matters is that we are engaged. Being present in the moment states that those that are around us are what matters. I see that in each of my children. Each has their own unique personality. Each one is strong and independent, yet they are also very caring. I am most proud that they know how to love their families and friends.

I had another fun weekend with Brooke and her family. They are so sweet to be with. I couldn't be more proud of the mother that Brooke is. Do I sound like a doting mom and grandma??? Yea--- sorry! But I am. I am so blessed to have Ian, Anayansi, Reagan, Jenna, Brooke, Evan, McKenzie, Brynn, Cami and Klas in my life!


McKenzie built this tower while we were watching conference on TV!


Brynn smiling for Grandma.

3 comments:

Anayansi said...

thanks liz. you are truly a blessing in our lives.

Camille said...

awwww, tear.... I love you Mom! More than you'll ever know and I miss your 30 minute meals and home cookin' all the time!

brooke said...

Thanks mom. I know you were only teasing me at our house. I am fine with the fact that I do not sew or cook super well. You taught me many other important skills and qualities of motherhood. Much more impt ones I might add. We love you Mom and Grandma.